Top 10 Songs of 2020

1.    “Never Ending Dream” – Kishi Bashi & Toby Chu

As the theme song to an upcoming Apple TV+ children’s show, it’s likely I would have never heard “Never Ending Dream” if I hadn’t casually decided to listen to Kishi Bashi one night. This artist doesn't play in my starting lineup too often, but sometimes I get in the mood for baroque pop and my Pet Sounds quota has already been filled. Enter Kishi Bashi. Days later, I was notified of an upcoming release for the soundtrack to said children’s TV show, of which I had never heard. On a lark, I listened to the song. Immediately, I was transported back to a childhood I had never experienced and yet knew me well upon my arrival. “Never Ending Dream” makes me nostalgic on behalf of the kids who will hear it as youngsters and then maybe revisit it in another twenty years or so. Its brimming optimism and sunny melody keep me coming back when I need a pick-me-up.


2.    “For Her” – Fiona Apple

Though I can’t exactly say it’s my favorite song from Fiona’s long-awaited Fetch the Bolt Cutters, “For Her” gripped me from the first listen and has been routinely clubbing me over the head ever since. I really can’t stop thinking about it. With its unearthly vocals and threatening percussion, “For Her” sounds like it came from another planet. The way the breath is choked out of her final vocalizations is not only apropos of the dehumanization to which the song speaks, but leaves the listener long-considering his own darkest animal instincts and how to push them far, far away. It is a memorable and challenging art piece, to be sure.


3.    “Pan and Broom” – Bright Eyes

Infused with the ghost of Bright Eyes’ latest release, The People’s Key, “Pan and Broom” reminded me of why I enjoy this band so much. It’s not just about Conor. What fellow bandmates Mike and Nate do to round out the words and melody is where the magic lies, and such is the case here. This song is a favorite from the album thanks to its warbly organ, backing vocals, and the strange grunt of assent that precedes every chorus, as if multiple Conors were caught enjoying a particularly tasty confection. And of course, the lyrics are evocative and infectious. Well, after several listens to “Pan and Broom,” may I add my own “mmmmm” to the mix?


4.    “The Whole of the Moon” – Kevin Devine

It’s always nice to see a familiar face, and Kevin always seems to find his way on to my year-end lists in some way, shape, or form. Kev has a fantastic work ethic and an impressive track record. For example, this is the second year that he has contributed songs to a release called Kenny O’Brien & the O’Douls; now up to four songs either from or about Irish tradition. The latest addition includes this wonderful song, originally recorded in the 80s by The Waterboys. But what makes this special in 2020 is the earnest optimism that shines through Kevin’s voice. The lyrics sound like psalms, lending the entire affair a touch of spirituality that makes the original such a classic. And this is easily the best version to come out since Mandy Moore’s cover of it in 2003. Well done, Kevin. See you next year.


5.    “Save a Little For Yourself” – Mandy Moore

Speaking of Mandy Moore…and it’s true, this is that Mandy Moore. All I can say is that I’ve low-key been a fan of Mandy since she played the mean girl in The Princess Diaries so brilliantly. A decade after that, I was reminded of her great singing voice when she starred in a personal favorite, Disney’s Rapunzel, and now a decade later her new music floated across my path and gosh darn if I don’t enjoy it. “Save a Little For Yourself” is the single from the album and, as one of several that stood out to me, made the cut thanks to its encouraging, self-actualizing lyrics and the neat key change that each chorus introduces. Really, it’s nice soft rock that could cool the blood of any playlist. I dig it.


6.    “Through With Love” – Western State Hurricanes

It’s rare that new music can be so authoritatively rooted in late-90s alt rock, and yet in the most literal sense that is what happens here. John Roderick, the brains behind one of my favorite bands of all time The Long Winters, cut a demo in 1999 with his then-band Western State Hurricanes. However, this never saw a release due to unsalvageable recordings and the band’s subsequent dissolution. Twenty years and The Long Winters later, the recordings were rescued, re-mastered, and released thanks to a very 90s aspect of contemporary culture: crowdfunding. Most of the songs are merely earlier (though interesting) versions of songs The Long Winters later did – all except “Through With Love.” This song has more going for it than mere novelty, however. Soaring guitar sections, killer backing female vocals, riveting lines of verse, and John’s chatty vocal delivery all make this song great. And let’s face it. I love a good time capsule. Even better if from the 90s.


7.    “Blade of Wind” - …And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead

The denouement of 2019 promised a 2020 release from Trail of Dead, which made me particularly excited because I’ve been a fan of the band since shortly after their last release, more than five years ago. A smattering of singles assured me I had much to look forward to. It's the album track “Blade of Wind”, however, that really caught my attention. It is epic in scale, conjuring images of fantastical battle sequences and soaring vistas worthy of League of Legends fan art. Where the band’s boy-like fascination with sci-fi and fantasy meets their penchant for prog and punk rock, I lie in wait, consuming all they offer. For my money, Trail of Dead is the best working rock band out there today. "Blade of Wind" is a small yet informative peek into their world.


8.    “My Man on Love” – Fruit Bats

If I could slip Fruits Bats’ 2001 self-titled album into this list due to some technicality like I could for Western State Hurricanes, oh how I would. I discovered the band and their debut album at the beginning of quarantine and fell deeply in love. Twenty years into Eric Johnson’s career (not he of “Cliffs of Dover” fame), lucky for me, he’s still making great music. “My Man on Love” is the most straightforward folk song from The Glory Of, and at its heart the most in touch with what attracted me to the group. A simple and catchy melody leaps lightly from his enviable fingerpicking and leaves me with naught but a contented sigh and dreaming of warm summer twilights and no masks.


9.    “The Dawn of Something” – Joan of Arc

I battled over the inclusion of anything from Joan of Arc’s new and purportedly final album. On the one hand, I really like the band. On the other, it is nearly impossible for me to like any of their songs after a first listen. Tim and company have always been a little out there, and this album is no exception. But when I heard “The Dawn of Something” late in the tracklist, I thought a UFO was landing. Maybe it was teasing navy fighter pilots, or dropping monoliths, or playing recordings from forgotten 90s bands or returning Fiona Apple to her home planet. Whatever its business, it was landing, and the sound of it landing was “The Dawn of Something.” Where Tim’s untrained vocals can sometimes grate against your earth ears, the soundscape of Joan of Arc’s instrumentals suck you into a strange world that you suppose must have existed all along but to which you were never before privy. Think Lovecraft's "At the Mountains of Madness". This song, like their other instrumentals, fascinates me.


10.“Tomita” – Jaga Jazzist

This year I reconnected with some long-dormant musical roots. Long hours working from home prompted much media consumption, and I often grew tired of hearing voices. Voices whispering stage directions on how to think. Voices talking politics or social justice. Monologues on how we ought to feel about different things people are doing. Instead, I listened to classical music and movie soundtracks. New age music and trip-hop. And, of course, I listened to Jaga Jazzist. Indeed, Norway’s premiere seven-piece jazz-fusion outfit played a vital and recurring role in my musical consumption this year, and they further rewarded my devotion by releasing an album in August. Four studio jams stretched out over forty minutes. The longest selection, this song, is especially compelling. After the first nine minutes coddle you in the sweet caress of a smooth jazz groove slowly picking up steam, it introduces a new theme with the abruptness of an impact drill before slowly weaning you back onto the main theme. Its technique and execution indicates the tightness and camaraderie of a true community. “Tomita” is easy listening for a hard year. Enjoy it.


Comments